This 1920d vintage casserole was a family favorite for generations as a side dish to any cooked meats and sausages. For vegetarians, it pairs wonderfully with a salad.
- 3 tablespoons butter or lard, melted
- 1½ cups spaghetti, broken into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ pound American cheese, shaved
- 2 cups milk
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup buttered breadcrumbs
- Cook the spaghetti according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine the flour, butter, milk and salt in a medium-large bowl.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the cabbage and spaghetti; combine well.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Add the mixture to a greased baking dish.
- Add the buttered crumbs on top.
- Bake for about 25–30 minutes until cooked well.
- Serve warm.