Mighty green spinach stars in this vivacious vintage recipe. Apart from Popeye, this classic recipe has fans across the world for its nutritional value and simplicity.
- 2 slightly beaten eggs
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces package of fresh or frozen spinach, about 2 cups cooked
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons minced onion
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cup buttered breadcrumbs
- Directions Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the fresh spinach in hot water until wilted. If using frozen spinach, just unthaw before using. Drain thoroughly through a fine sieve. Make sure to release all the water you can from the spinach before transferring to a bowl.
- Add all other ingredients EXCEPT the breadcrumbs and blend well.
- Transfer the mixture to a greased baking dish. Top with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake for about 40 minutes until evenly brown.
- Serve warm.